This article gives step-by-step instructions on how to integrate your QuickBooks Online (QBO) account with your foreUP account.
In order to get started, the following conditions must be met:
- Your foreUP contract must include the Sales or F&B modules (or both) and must include the QuickBooks integration (if your contract does not explicitly include the QuickBooks integration, please contact your Account Manager to get that added to your contract)
- Your inventory database must already be entered/imported into foreUP
- You must already have a QBO account that has been set up and configured
- foreUP must turn on a backend setting to get your foreUP account ready to integrate with QuickBooks online. (The way you can tell if this has already been done is to go Settings > Accounting > Export. On this page, you will see the blue message Integration Ready to Map going across the top. If you do not see this message, please contact foreUP so we can turn on the necessary backend settings for you.)
The following steps must be followed in order to get QBO integrated with foreUP:
- Map the correlating QBO Chart of Accounts in foreUP
- Go through the integration steps
- Test integration export
Map the Correlating QBO Chart of Accounts in foreUP
Follow the steps below to start mapping your QBO chart of accounts in foreUP:
- Log into foreUP and go Settings > Accounting > Export
- On the Export page, you will see an Accounting Settings section that will have several subsections (Misc, Payments, Taxes, Sales Categories)
- In each of those subsections, you will see several line items that have an open field under the Account* column
- In each of those open fields in each subsection is where you will map the correlating chart of accounts from your QBO account (see this article from QuickBooks support to learn more about how to set up and access your chart of accounts in QBO).
- Please note: Once you start entering your correlating chart of accounts in the account field in foreUP, you must fill out ALL of the account fields in one sitting, otherwise, your progress will not be saved. You cannot start filling out those fields and come back later.
- Once you have added the correlating chart of account from QBO to the account field in foreUP, click Save Changes in the top right
Go Through the Integration Steps
Once you have completed the above section, you are now ready to get your QBO account connected to your foreUP account.
foreUP must turn on a backend setting for you in order for you to start going through the QBO integration steps. The easiest way to tell if this setting has been turned on is to go Settings > Accounting > Export. On this page, if you see a blue Integration Ready to Map message at the top, the setting has successfully been turned on for your foreUP account (see the screenshot below for an example of what that message will look like).
If you do not see the above message, please contact foreUP's Support Team to get that tuned on for you.
If you do see the above message, please follow the steps below to complete QBO integration to foreUP:
- Click on the Set Up Export Mapping button in the top right
- You will get a pop-up message confirming you are wanting to integrate with QBO. As long as that looks correct, click Yes, begin setup
- You should be automatically redirected to the QBO sign-in page. If you are not automatically redirected, click on the link in the pop-up box
- Proceed with typing in your QBO username and password and click Sign In
- You will then get a screen asking you to approve the connection between POS Accounting (this is foreUP's accounting integration partner) and QBO. Click Connect
- You will then get a confirmation page letting you know you have completed the first steps of the integration. You will be instructed to close the current tab so you can go back to foreUP. Go ahead and close the current tab and go back to foreUP
- When you come back to foreUP, you will have a pop-up message to finish the integration steps. Click Finished integrating, let's start mapping
- A new tab will open automatically for you and take you to a welcome page as seen below. DO NOT CLICK ON ANYTHING ON THIS SCREEN. Simply close the window/tab that automatically popped up.
- Closing the tab that opened will take you back to foreUP
- You will still have a pop-up message in foreUP. Click Done
Test Integration Export
Once you have completed the above two sections, you are now ready to start exporting your data from foreUP to your QBO account. Please follow the steps below to ensure the integration is operational
- Log into foreUP and go Settings > Accounting > QuickBooks
- Under the Export section, select a single day using the From Date and To Date fields (be sure to select a day you know already has completed sale transactions/data)
- Once you have selected a date, click Export to QuickBooks
- You will get a loading screen, which can last up to 30 seconds (if the loading screen lasts longer than 30 seconds, 1) try from an incognito Chrome browser, 2) try from a different computer, or 3) try from a faster network)
- If the data has successfully been exported from foreUP into your QBO account, you will get a green confirmation message that appears in the bottom right
- Log into your QBO account and go to the Journal Entry section to ensure the data has been successfully exported from foreUP into your QBO account as a journal entry
Q: I get an error when I try to export to QB. What should I do?
- Try clicking the Update Export Mapping option and then try reexporting
- Try selecting a smaller date range and then exporting